Australia/New Zealand 2005

Hello Everyone! This Web Log (Blog!) was created so that I can document my travels through the Down Under and make it easier for you, my dear friend(s), to see what I'm up to. I hope you like it. Casey

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Happy Days

Aaaaayyyyy.

Where in the World is Casey Michael Hudetz?

Let me tell you. No. Better yet. Let me show you.

Christchurch, the city most influenced by British architecture and style, is where I spent 2 days and 2 nights after leaving Queenstown. While I was there, I explored the more important areas of the city.

It lived up to its reputation with many cobblestone side streets, large courtyards surrounded by decorative brick buildings, ornate clock towers, cathedrals, art mueseums, and winding canals which weaved their way through it all. I happened to be there during an art festival, so lots of public art was on display and there were lots of free activities for me to partake in. Very nice.

The final leg of my trip, which I had been planning to do for a while, involves me doing a farm stay. In my mind's eye, I had seen myself working for a traditional New Zealand family, cultivating their many organic plants outdoors, while spending my evenings hearing of the many troubles and triumphs that a Kiwi (New Zealander) faces throughout their lifetime.

Well, as it turned out, the couple I'm staying with are Dutch immigrants from Holland, they own a Hydroponic (not Organic) tomato farm, and my work is done mainly in greenhouses. Ha!

Ellis & Fons Sanders moved to Christchurch, New Zealand about 15 years ago where Fons ran a Bakery and Ellis did all of the paperwork. After their children all grew up, they decided to start their own Hydroponic* Tomato Farm, and live a more quiet, simple life. A year after, they began taking on travelling farmers to help fill in the silent evenings they were getting sick of and help with the work that was becoming too much.

Ellis, the bookkeeper, farmer, cook, wife, & mother, is a very hardworking, no-nonsense kind of woman. The words "Freshly Baked," "Homegrown," and "Organic" are adjectives that are inseparable from the titles she gives all of her homecooked meals. This is the best I've eaten this whole summer. And let me tell you: the bowels, they are a' movin' (Warning: This Blog has entered a new level self-disclosure. I hope I haven't offended anyone).

Fons (Or "The Fons" as I like to call him. In my head. To myself) is a hardworking, man of few words. Although he doesn't know it, we have been involved in many hose-fastening races. I have been secretly keeping tally of who finishes their row in the greenhouse first, just for fun of course, and I keep thinking I have the edge, with my youth, motivation, and innate competitiveness. But this man has consistently taken me to the (organic) cleaners. I have a lot to learn about farming I guess.

My work has mainly consisted of mind numbing jobs which my brain can sleep through most of. After the hundredth potted plant, I think I've been having my moment of zen.

From 8 until 3, I am at their service, but after 3, I can do whatever I want. I have gone on a few bike rides, finally read 1984 (which was great), caught up on emails, sat by their fireplace, explored the 2-block town of Rangiora, visited their library, and caught up on my sleep.

I feel great. I've been eating such healthy food and getting so much blasted exercise, that I feel it will be an easy transition back into the fast paced life of Chicago upon my return.

Thanks for reading this entry and I will be seeing you all soon!

Best Wishes,

Casey


* Rather than plants growing the conventional way, where nutrients are pulled from the soil, Hydroponic farming has its seeds placed in woodchips, while nutrient rich solutions are pumped into the individual containers.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

casey-
hey! i know you are back from your travels but i just wanted to say hey and it sounds like you had an amazing time- i must admit i'm terribly jealous, seeing as how i've been stuck in an office in columbus all summer (except for that brief stint to alaska i guess ;)
anyway, hope all is well, say hi to chicago for me, and i'll see you in september!
peace
susanna

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Casey:
I've been reading your posts sporadically over the summer and get a kick out of them. It seems like you are having a great time and having great learning experiences. I'd love to hear more about them upon your return!
- Stephanie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home