Australia/New Zealand 2005

Hello Everyone! This Web Log (Blog!) was created so that I can document my travels through the Down Under and make it easier for you, my dear friend(s), to see what I'm up to. I hope you like it. Casey

Monday, July 04, 2005

Fraser Island

Greetings my Fellow Americans,

Independence Day. Two years in a row I have been out of the States for the celebration. I'm beginning to forget what we're even celebrating. Something about Indians and over priced tea? It'll come back to me eventually.

Well hey! I'm safe. I'll tell you how I got here:

After my last post, I headed south to a rainy and stormy Hervey Bay, which is one of the many gateway citys which allows access to the great Fraser Island. This trip, I was told, was pretty weather dependent. Being an all outdoor adventure, rain can easily ruin things. The weather wasn't looking too promising, but I actually lucked out with three of the sunniest, most pleasing days I have had this whole summer (winter).

Fraser Island, one of Australia's biggest tourist attractions, has much to brag about. It is the largest sand island in the world, has more sand on its terrain than the Sahara desert, can boast the purest breed of Dingos in the world (dog-like creature--They come into the story later), and the island is most commonly explored using 4-Wheel Drive vehicles.

I signed up for a self-guided 4WD tour that would allow me and Seven other travellers to create our own itinerary and explore whichever part of the island we most fancied. The first group I was put in consisted of a Welshman (He comes into the story later as well), another guy, and about 7 females. However, there was some sort of drama with the Welshman so he I was put in with another group, which was fine by me.

We began our day with a very quick briefing of what to do if attacked by dingoes ("Defend yourself aggressively!" said the video.) among other things (flat tires, stuck in the mud, broken back). We were given all of our equipment for the three days, shopping list suggestions, maps, and possible itineraries for the island as parting gifts.

We were then let loose and sped out of the car park ahead of the other groups to begin our adventure. We did a very fast paced shopping trip before a ferry took us all to the island and dropped us off onto the last paved road I would see for 3 days. We put our vehicles into 4WD and entered the jungle.

At first everyone was a little apprehensive about hills, quick turns, and big puddles, but after 20 minutes we were shouting and encouraging our driver to go faster through them.
And after 30 minutes, we were bored with them (one passenger actually began falling asleep!).

Our first planned stop was the famous Lake McKenzie. It is the largest fresh water lake on the island and after jumping into the water, it felt as if I was swimming in Evian water. So clear and fresh, and tasted as good as, if not better, most bottled waters.

Fun Fact: The sand on the Lake McKenzie beach is so fine, that if were to dip jewelry in it, it would clean and polish it! Also, if you were to wash it into your hair, it works as a conditioner (I actually tried it, and it worked!)

We left the lake to find our first camp site: The Beach. Have you ever seen that commercial where there is the vacationer who sets up his beach chair, on the empty tropical beach, by himself, and then some other sun bather sets up their chair RIGHT next to him, thereby spoiling his privacy and tranquil surroundings? Well, that's what we did to this other group. HA! While we were seting up our tents, rain tarps (just in case), and preparing dinner, we got such a stink eye from this other group, I had to put on some extra sun tan lotion to prevent myself from getting a burn. It was hilarious.

While setting everything up, it became even more apparent that I was the only non-bi-lingual one in the group. There were 2 Norweigians, 1 German, and 4 from Denmark. After I finish this postI'm going to have to look up the Danish translation for "American Loser" to make sure that that wasn't the phrase that I kept hearing when I was around!

Side Note: While setting up the tents, I realized how much I enjoyed the whole camping process. I think I remember doing it as a kid in our backyard and it made me really excited. If anyone wants to go camping with me when I get back, let me know.

The dinner was cleaned up and we experienced a sky show that even a Pink Floyd Light Coordinator, trapped inside of a Kaleidescope, on acid, couldn't dream up. The stars were so bright, the Mily Way so expansive, the shooting stars so numerous, with the large, shark infested ways crashing nearby so loud; it was unbelievable.

There were so many shooting stars, in fact, by the end I had to start making wishes for things I didn't really want that much. I was really spoiled.

After viewing the southern cross, which is on the Australian Flag (and looks more like a kite than a cross if you ask me) some people in my group and I decided to walk down the beach to see if we could find the other people who were part of our caravan.

We found that they had all set up a little camping ground of their own, and had thrown quite a lively party. We joined them for a while, met some more foreigners (I didn't meet any other Americans), and actually met an Irish girl who is running the Chicago Marathon in October. If anyone wants to come with me to cheer her on and show her the city, let me know. We could do it after we go camping.

Throughout the night we spotted a few dingoes, but nothing to be too worried about.

The next day we woke up early to the sunrise and packed all of our equipment up and got on the "road" (the beach). We drove up North, and while passing the groups from the night before, we were told a little story from the night before about that Welshman I mentioned earlier.

It turns out that he drank 3 liters of wine on his own, began flipping out because he thought someone had stole one of his bottles, pushed some girl over, and then bit another one on the arm! HA! I was supposed to be in his group! My guardian angel, or someone, is looking out for me, because that's the second attack I have somehow managed to avoid on this trip.

Can you imagine how awkward the rest of that trip must have been in that vehicle. "So, I'm sorry I bit you last night." ?!?! But I digress...

We made a few more stops again that day, played frisbee and soccer, and set up camp on the beach again. This night, however, we were sitting and looking at the stars when I looked up to see 2 dingoes about 3 feet from me sniffing around. As instructed by the instructional video, I shouted dingo and pointed at them, and they took off. I felt so cool.

The next day we went to a place called Lake Wabby, which was incredible. I will have to show you the pictures (this post is getting really long).

Okay, enough is enough. I've written too much. I have many more little observations and funny happenings, but I'll have to tell you in person.

It all ended up being a great time. I met some really great people, made lots of contacts, and secured many free places to stay if I travel in Europe again! Ha!

Keep sending the emails, and leaving comments, and enjoying the heat wave (suckers!). I will talk to you all soon.

Your Travelling Man,

Casey

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I like these postings a lot too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home