Australia/New Zealand 2005

Hello Everyone! This Web Log (Blog!) was created so that I can document my travels through the Down Under and make it easier for you, my dear friend(s), to see what I'm up to. I hope you like it. Casey

Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Cost of a Cheap Ticket

Hello Everyone,
Casey here. Before I get into my long drawn out description of what it took to get where I am, I would like to start with a thank you. Prior to leaving the country, I had a great send off from all of you. From crepes, to ipods, to phone calls, and text messages, hugs,well-wishes, emails, and Corcoran visits, I truly felt that I would be missed. So thanks again for that.
All right. So today is the 19th of June, and I left on the 15th. I just arrived in Sydney not 2 hours ago. Things didn't go exactly as planned.
I left last wednesday morning and got to LA with no problem. Spent the day there waiting for my 10:40 flight and reading Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, which was good but not his best. The plane ended up being oversold and I had to call my Uncle Tom who lives in LA.
My Uncle Tom picked me up, housed me, fed me, and took me back the next day to try again. No luck. While asking around, I was told that standby passengers had a better chance of getting to Sydney from San Francisco because the weight restrictions on planes were different.
I heeded their advice and the next day after staying the night in a hotel (Thanks Uncle Tom!) I flew down to San Fran. Spent a day there and caught up on some more reading. The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is hysterical so far.
I eventually got the last seat on the plane to Sydney and managed to survive the 15 hour flight.
So that brings me to now. Sorry if this entry lacks my usual hilarious quips and indispensible observations, but I am way too tired and smelly (same clothes! 3 days!) to concentrate on much else than finding a hostel and taking a shower.
Wish me luck and tune in next time to hear about my (mis)adventures in Cairns.
Thanks Again for all of your support!

Best Wishes,

Casey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home